The appliedAI Initiative is Germany's largest initiative fostering the application of AI technology in the German industry landscape. We aim to lift Germany to the AI age by accelerating the adoption of AI technology. We do this through education (with e.g.: NVIDIA, Google, Startups, and DAX Companies), implementation of machine-learning software and infrastructure solutions with companies (e.g. in the domain of AI-based automation, computer vision, reinforcement learning) and by providing a neutral ground for knowledge exchange between key players in the AI space (see our partners).
Developing a Machine Learning system is much more than crafting the algorithms. We understand that Software Engineering is still at the core of (intelligent) software systems, so we are looking for a Senior Software Engineer that works with our engineering team to build state of the art AI / ML based systems, products and infrastructure in a variety of domains.
Candidates should have experience in designing, building and maintaining reliable and scalable customer-facing software / services, above average communication skills and a willingness to learn new things. It would be advantageous to have a good understanding of how larger companies think and act, and what the challenges are in deploying software systems for such customers at scale. As a senior software engineer, you will be expected to take a lead role in designing system architectures and structuring the implementation, but also to get your hands dirty and build key components / services with the team and mentor talented junior developers. You will work together with our senior AI Engineers and the lead of the engineering unit when it comes to envisioning solutions. We work with a mixture of agile methodologies and integrate machine learning subsystems in all of our services. You will have a high impact on the future scaling of appliedAI and are assumed to take strategic decisions within your team.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL:
- Engage with appliedAI’s partner companies to analyze and understand their requirements
- Bring their software engineering expertise into the AI domain and develop new knowledge artifacts that we will publish together
- Lead the design and implement (often from scratch) scalable software architectures (from frontend to backend, from pipeline to batch-processing systems) as part of the team
- M.Sc. / Ph.D. in Computer Science or strong experience in software development
- Fluent in multiple languages (most importantly python) and frameworks across the stack (you know which tool to pick when) and experience with tooling and services
- Experience in a variety of software architectures and design patterns
- Experience in pipeline solutions (for example airflow, arrow, kafka, or others), database systems (e.g. postgresql, graphql, mongodb), service frameworks, etc.
- Experience with DevOps practices and tools (e.g. docker and kubernetes)
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills as well as good communication skills
- Team player with the ability to learn new things quickly (we operate at the cutting edge)
- Fluent English
IT WOULD BE ADVANTAGEOUS TO HAVE
- Experience in distributed (ML) systems (e.g. Spark, Dask or others) and ETL pipelines
- Experience with web applications
- Experience closer to the metal (e.g. C++, CUDA)
- Experience with google cloud and their software stack
- Good writing and presentation skills
- Conversational German or better
What we offer
A highly qualified and motivated team of ~50 people is on a journey to change the rapidly changing European AI Landscape. ~25 of us have a strong scientific, engineering or CS background.
- Opportunity to work on a variety of projects.
- Want to learn about robotics, autonomous drones or smart factories? All of this is happening at appliedAI.
- Time for personal projects.
- You will have access to the newest technology in the AI domain. We operate clusters with ML optimized systems such as NVIDIA-DGX or IBM Power9 servers, we work with beta software of our partners and test other novel hardware systems like FPGA accelerators or Franka Emika robots. You can also use this for your personal projects.
- An atmosphere that encourages to think and experiment in new ways with software and hardware - guaranteed impact with new ideas.
- Hottest topics of the next decade and freedom and trust to initiate own activities.
- A highly visible initiative that helps you build a large and high level network of start-ups, partners, and tech companies.
- Budget and time to visit important conferences, read papers and develop your skills with the team - potentially showcasing results at relevant events.
- Internal seminar in machine learning and computer science.
- Hackathons organized by UTUM.
- Pick your own hardware.
- Free food, coffee, snacks, etc.
- (Optional) after work Fridays and monthly dinners.
Juliane Haspel (Consultant Recruiting)
UnternehmerTUM GmbH, Lichtenbergstraße 6, 85748 Garching bei München